Wednesday, December 4, 2013

"The Morals of Chess"

I love chess. I just finished 4 games of chess!   In "The Morals of Chess" by Benjamin Franklin, he talks about how chess can be useful in real life, the basic rules of chess, how you should move your players correctly and much more.  He has a lot of really good quotes. 


  Benjamin Franklin talks about how chess gets your brain thinking ahead.  He says you should never move pieces illegally.  Another thing he talks about is how if you lose a player you might become more careful but if you are winning you might become careless.  

Franklin says, "By playing at chess, then, we may learn,
1.  If I move this piece, what will be the advantages or disadvantages of my new situation?  What Use can my Adversary make of it to annoy me?  What other moves can I make to support it, and to defend myself from his attacks?"  
2. "Circumspection, which surveys the whole Chessboard, or scene of action; the relation of the several pieces and situations, the Dangers they are respectively exposed to, the several possibilities of their aiding each other, the probabilities that the Adversary may make this or that move, and attack this or the other piece, and what different means can be used to avoid his stroke, or turn its consequences against him."

He also says if it is agreed to keep the rules, the rules should be kept.  If it is not agreed, then if one person cheats you can cheat, too! Next he talks about how it's not fun to play with people who sneak their pieces onto different places!  (I know this because my older brother does that all the time.) 

Franklin also says if you win you should not bother other people about it but instead say something like this, "You are getting a lot better with your rook," or "You would have won but you were too quick."  Or maybe give them advice like "You did great, but next time you could move your bishop first instead of your queen."  So, in short, BE A GOOD SPORT!  He said if you are losing, do not think about the present but the victory that follows!  Or in short terms, think ahead!  
                               I hope you enjoyed my post!
Do you like chess?
Please comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment